Dear YMCA Members and Program Participants:
The Merrimack Valley YMCA is committed to providing a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone entering our doors; promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility.
Our Y is closely monitoring the global COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation. We are working closely with Y-USA, the MA Alliance of YMCA’s, Redwoods (our insurance carrier and risk management partner), the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC) and following guidelines recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO).
In an effort to keep you and your family healthy, our focus is on communication concerning precautions and prevention to our staff, members and program participants and on the execution of cleaning and follow-up on these precautions.
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY: Friday, March 13, 2020
Here are the actions we are taking and operational adjustments to increase social distancing and protect the health and wellness of our staff and families, members, program participants, and community members:
THIS SUNDAY 3/15/20 ALL OF OUR ASSOCIATION’S BRANCHES WILL BE CLOSED FOR DEEP CLEANING
- TOWEL SERVICE WILL BE SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY
- ALL OF THIS WEEKEND’S EVENTS WILL BE CANCELLED INCLUDING:
- Youth Basketball League Playoffs and Banquets, on-site and off-site
- Synchro Mini Meet
- Birthday Parties
FUTURE EVENTS AND PROGRAMS THAT ARE NOW SUSPENDED OR POSTPONED
- All Active Living Center group-ex classes and programs are suspended temporarily
- LiveSTRONG at the Y program is postponed
- All birthday parties already scheduled will be cancelled
- No new pool parties or birthday parties or facility rentals for outside groups until further notice
- Merrimack Valley YMCA Annual Auction is being rescheduled
- Camp Open House event on 3/22/20 – postponed
- LIMITED GROUP-EX CLASSES ATTENDANCE
Group-ex classes and spin classes will be limited to 20
OUR BRANCHES WILL REMAIN OPEN FOR MEMBERS TO USE FITNESS CENTERS AND POOLS.
- Youth and family programs, aquatics classes are currently still running
- We are currently monitoring the situation and will be providing updates as they develop
We have increased our signage and messaging to build awareness. Your Y is thoroughly cleaned throughout the day and after closing. Special care is being taken by vigilant Y staff to meet quality standards and keep our facility clean and safe. Extra attention is on sanitizing high traffic areas and commonly used surfaces.
Additionally, we are encouraging everyone to do their part in helping prevent the spread of viruses. Everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like Coronavirus include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick until you’ve been free of fever for 24 hours.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
Currently, there are no suspected or confirmed cases of Coronavirus in our YMCAs.
Anyone seeking additional information about the Merrimack Valley YMCA contact us at:
Additionally, up-to-date authoritative information can be found by accessing the following four websites:
- https://www.cdc.gov/(Center for Disease Control)
- https://lawrencegeneral.org/ (Lawrence General Hospital)
- http://www.childrenshospital.org/(Boston Children’s Hospital)
- https://www.mass.gov/orgs/department-of-public-health(MA Department of Public Health)
We are monitoring the situation and preparing for the possibility that our daily program and work routines could be temporarily impacted if the situation changes. We will keep all members and participants updated with information as it develops.
Francis J. Kenneally III
President and CEO