Active Living Center
The Active Living Center at the Andover/N. Andover YMCA is a one-of-a kind resource when it comes to promoting health and wellness for older adults. Provided through a generous donation from the Wood Family Trust, the Center consists of a trained staff, state-of-the-art equipment, and specialized services to ensure older adults have access to the very best resources to promote a healthy lifestyle.
An active lifestyle is the single best strategy to help us stay more independent as we age, giving us the physical capacity do the things that are important to us. It can help us get stronger; improve balance; feel more energized; prevent disability; and prevent or control chronic health problems like arthritis, high blood pressure, and diabetes. Not just physical health, experts believe that an active body promotes an active mind: exercise improves memory, mental alertness, mood, and feelings of well-being.
The specially trained and caring staff of the Active Living Center offer a variety of tailored programs, activities, and service for older adults including:
• Individualized wellness evaluations and assessments to get you started safely
• Guided programs to improve balance, strength and “functional” fitness
• Low impact group exercise classes including, gentle yoga and aquatics
• Specialty classes such line dancing and other fun forms of moving
• Special programs for arthritis and other chronic health conditions
• Blood pressure screening
• Progress reports sent to physicians and healthcare providers
• Special seminars and events on a variety of wellness topics
• Scheduled golf instruction from professional staff
• A social area for relaxing and catching up with friends
• On-site refreshments
Current Program Offerings and Schedule
The Active Living Center is led by Susan McInnis, M.S., an experienced health and wellness professional with over 20 years as a successful business owner in corporate wellness, certified older adult exercise leader, group exercise instructor, yoga and Pilates instructor, and more.
Faculty and students from the Merrimack College Health Sciences program contribute programming expertise and personalized instruction as they skillfully support activities held at the Center.
The Active Living Center is staffed Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Program activities during these designated hours are tailored to active older adults.
The Active Living Center is offered free of charge to all members of the Merrimack Valley YMCA. Some special events may require a minimal fee but participation is optional.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact: Susan McInnis, M.S. at 978-685-3541 x113 or email@example.com.